Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Sunday, October 26, 2003

Friday Five On Sunday

This Friday Five came from sister Carrie. She let me change the questions a little to make them more fun to answer. Thanks Carrie.

1) Name five books (excluding the Bible) that you've read in the last five years that you really loved.
  • Harry Potter (all of them) by J. K. Rowling. A work of genius unfolding in our time.
  • A Painted House by John Grisham. I was sad when this book ended just because there wasn't any more of it to read. I think it is his best.
  • The Christ Clone Trilogy by James BeauSeigneur. An "end times" book a thousand times better than the awful but popular Left Behind series. The Christ Clone Trilogy is a well written story by an intelligent author. It is good reading for anyone, not just Christians.
  • The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny. I gave this to Bob for his birthday several years ago and he read it out loud while I knit socks for him. It is actually ten books combined into one volume. An excellent science fiction saga.
  • Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis - a masterpiece in presenting Christianity. I admire the intelligence, thoroughness and logic of C.S. Lewis.
2) Name five favorite television shows from the past.
  • Mary Hartman Mary Hartman
  • Startrek (the original)
  • The Dick Van Dyke Show
  • Wall Street Week with Louis Rukeyser
  • Hill Street Blues
3) Name five movies that you have watched more than once.
  • Shirley Valentine
  • Star Wars
  • Harry Potter (all of them). I've only watched these once, but plan to watch them again and again.
  • The Graduate
  • ET
4) Name five music albums that speak to your soul.
  • 25 Treasured Hymns by Tennessee Ernie Ford. Tennessee Ernie has a voice like I imagine God might sound if God did signing. My friend Russ played this CD for his mother while she lay dying in the hospice. Horrible thought. But if I had to go through an extended death experience I would like to do it to the voice of Tennessee Ernie.
  • Bat Out of Hell by Meatloaf. Definitely not boring. I feel young again when I listen to it.
  • Conversations by Sara Groves. The whole album speaks to the heart.
  • The Best of the Mamas and the Papas. Nobody sings like Mama Cass. So sad when she died.
  • Simon and Garfunkle in Central Park. Great singing and great songs.
5) Name your five favorite current cartoons. I read these five favorites online everyday along with runner up favorites Curtis, Sally Forth, Zits, Baby Blues, Big Nate, and Arlo & Janis.
  • For Better or Worse
  • Luann
  • Frazz
  • Grand Avenue
  • Ben
Far Side gets honorable mention as a great cartoon memory from the past.

Am I the only person in the world who never liked Peanuts?

No comments: