Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, February 17, 2011

More Very Very Early Signs of Spring

It's really late winter, but it's more fun to pretend it's very very early spring since we're having a February thaw this week.


It was in the fifties for the second day in a row. I'm trying to enjoy the warmer weather but the gray skies, stiff wind, dirty snow, mud, and gloom are making it a challenge.

The picture above was taken at lunch time to demonstrate why this weather makes me want to go take a nap.


Things aren't looking much cheerier on the ground.

The white trail is were we walked when there was snow. The walking packed it down so it's the last to melt. During thaw time, we have to walk off the slippery path.


The paper box is still slowly sinking. If the ground thaws enough, I'll go out with a shovel and re-plant it. If the ground doesn't thaw enough I may need to prop it up with some cement blocks.


Spotted this Woolly Bear Caterpillar on the side of the house.

It's not a sign of spring, it's an sign of Woolly Bear bad timing. He needs to find someplace to shelter until the real spring. I'm surprised a bird hasn't had him for lunch.


Daffodils are so amazing. They know spring is coming eventually and they start growing under the ice and snow so they'll be ready for April blooming.

The snow and ice was holding the oak leaves tight to the ground so the daffodils just pierced through them.

By the end of next week the daffodils will be under the snow again, but I'll know they're there and I'll smile at them as I shovel out to the car.

4 comments:

Sheri said...

I saw daffodils in bloom today for the first time since last spring. We're in the low 70's during the day, but it's not over yet. We'll have some chilly days and nights for another several weeks. Love that picture of the daffodils poking through the leaves.

Alwen said...

It's been 50 F or warmer for 21 of the last 24 hours. We had about a foot of grainy snow this morning, and now it's GONE. I so wish I had taken sequential pictures.

kathy b said...

You make me laugh.. that caterpillar comment...so trueThe pekinese at westminster reminded Fireman and I of a caterpillar...

Judy S. said...

It always amazes me to see bulbs poking up through leaves, but then tree roots can lift concrete, can't they? Nice photos!