Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, March 04, 2010

Carrie's Basketweave Cuffs, Glaciers, and Daffodil Report



Sister Carrie requested Vegan acceptable yarn in tan. Last year I used Panda Cotton and she liked the results, so this year I bought more of the same.

Most of the tan colors appeared to have other colors swirled in with the tan, so I bought the Trail Mix. It's a little darker than tan, but I love the rich browns and hope Carrie will as well.




Pattern: Basketweave Ribbing Socks modified to use 56 stitches instead of 64 by omitting one 8 stitch pattern repeat.

Yarn: Crystal Palace Panda Cotton. 59% bamboo, 25% cotton, 16% nylon.

Color: Trail Mix.

Needles: Options 2.5mm circulars.

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch.




For the past week we've been in a weather pattern with freezing night temperatures and daytime temperatures a little above freezing with sunshine.

Gradually the snow is melting. In the sun (and over the septic tank) there are bare spots. Mostly though, we have snow cover that's turned into ice from the thawing and freezing cycle. It's so solid now that even I can walk on top of the ice/snow each morning before the thawing begins. The snow/ice under my feet is about five inches deep.

Michigan used to be a glacier. If warmer weather wasn't around the corner (we hope), it could easily become a glacier again.

Years that we have a quick thaw, say a 50 degree spell with rain, there is spring flooding. This gradual thaw is much better. Of course it's not too late in the year for a big snowfall followed by a quick thaw, but we like to pretend this is spring and more snow isn't going to happen.



The first visible daffodil.


Note to those who pay attention to these things:
Thursday I had a tooth extraction that didn't go as smooth as hoped, so I'm behind on my posting.

This entry is dated March 4, but I finished it up and posted it on March 6. There will also be a post for March 5 that doesn't actually appear until March 6. Then, if I have any posting energy left, I will post a Chat Back for March 6. It may not appear until March 7.

2 comments:

pendie said...

Youch! Hope you're mouth is feeling ok. My husband has a lot of dental issues and it's painful for me to watch, let alone be feeling it!

Carrie said...

Beautiful socks! Thank you SO much!