Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chat Back for February 27

Answering questions from comments and email.

Susan asked . . .
Ever dream of moving south?
Yes, but not seriously. I'm a Michigander.

Family and friends keep me here, as well as knowing every geographic location has its challenges.

In Michigan all four seasons are beautiful, it's just that winter lasts a little too long. It makes spring all the sweeter.





Vickie said . . .
I ordered this book ( Beautiful Knitting Patterns ) because of all of your sock ideas. You should get a commission!
Actually I do. When someone clicks on an Amazon book link from this blog I get a tiny percent of the purchase.



I hope you like the book. I collect stitch pattern books and this is one of my favorites. It was translated from German and has some stitch patterns I've not seen elsewhere. I especially love the Patterns From the Alpine Region section, sample above. One and two stitch crossings that can be knit without a cable needle and make beautiful designs.

Knitter beware: Charts only in this book. Fine with me, but I know some knitters prefer words.


Diane K. asked . . .
Did you like Happy Feet?
and Jean seconded the question . . .
I am curious too - how was the yarn to knit with?
No complaints, one caveat: There are only 192 yards in a 50 gram skein. If the socks are larger than a ladies medium with a seven inch cuff, a third skein may be required. If the sock has a yarn eating stitch pattern (cables and/or twists), a third skein may be required.

My Happy Feet Socks knit several months ago are machine washing nicely. They still look like new and I enjoy wearing them.


Jean said . . .
Poor deer, they probably wished they were as well fed as the birds and squirrels that visit you.



It is against the law to feed the deer. Michigan Department of Natural Resources believes when the deer gather together in one place it spreads Chronic Wasting Disease.

To my knowledge, there has only been one case of CWD in the state, and that not in this area.

Most of the deer I see around here look well fed. I have suspicions about that.

Diane K. asked . . .
Do you pick or throw?
I don't think of it as "pick", but I don't throw so I assume I pick. I knit German style.

My Swiss maternal grandmother had no patience for throwing. If she saw someone throwing (she would never call it knitting), she would grab it out of their hands and try to straighten them out, sure she was doing a good deed.

Grandma knit so fast she couldn't slow down enough to teach me anything except how to hold the yarn in my left hand for even tension. I learned the actual stitches from a book.


If you have no "ID" and want to leave your name on a comment instead of being called Anonymous:
  • For "Choose an Identity" click "Name/URL".
  • A place to enter your name and (optional) URL appears.
  • Enter the name you want to use in the name box.
  • If you have a website, you can enter it in the optional URL box.

3 comments:

Alwen said...

Now that I've looked at them, I'd say those deer look pretty well-fed for almost the end of February!

Jean said...

I checked out the book and it seems very nice, looks like it would be a nice addition to my knit library. Good to know that the deer are finding food, I had such a soft spot for animals.

Ann said...

Thanks for the review of the book - looks like a good resource for my library.