Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Anne's Birthday Socks Finished

Although simple, these socks were an entertaining puzzle to knit because the skein of yarn had three knots and each knot started the color sequence in a different place.

I started out knitting from the skein until I hit the first knot, about an inch and a half down the first cuff. Then I carefully wound the skein into multiple balls, documenting the color sequences of each ball to calculate the best way to proceed for matching socks.

Other than the knots, the yarn appears to be nice. It felt "wooly", even with the added Aloe Vera. Not necessarily a bad thing for those of us, including Anne, who have real winters.

Other knitter's have let me know it washes and wears well.


Pattern: Basic cuff down sock pattern on 64 stitches. k3p1 ribbing on cuff and instep.

Yarn: On Your Toes. 75% Superwash Wool, 25% Nylon.

Color: Moss.

Needles: Options #1, 2.5mm

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch

Anne's socks have a seven inch cuff and she wears size 8 shoes.

The On Your Toes only has 390 yards of yarn and I was so certain I was going to run out that I ordered a second skein. It turned out to be unneeded. This is the total amount of yarn I had left over.

It will be interesting to see if the second skein I bought has knots. But I'm not interested enough to check it out this evening. For right now it's going in the stash with a reminder note that there isn't enough yarn for a man's pair of socks and there are possible knots.


Granddaughter Sydney sent lavender On Your Toes for her socks. Winding it into two balls, I found 5 knots!

Two of them were joining breaks in the yarn and interrupted the color sequence.

Three of the knots were something I've never come across before in all the sock yarn I've used - the yarn wasn't broken at all, it was just tightly tangled. I was able to untangle those knots and keep winding.


No comments: