Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

One Wanida Done

I had reservations about the desirability of this stitch pattern and I was right.

The cuffs are knit on 2.5mm needles, have to be tugged over my instep, and bag at the ankles when worn. I went down to 2.25mm needles for my narrow feet. If I had used the smaller needles for the cuff I couldn't have gotten the sock on.

For those keeping track, there is an obvious problem with the written pattern at the beginning of the heel. Once again, no errata. There are several solutions and an experienced knitter good at reading stitches and charts can work it out. Anyone who thinks the pattern is the last word in correctness is doomed to frustration and failure.

Instead of selecting one of my beautiful Slackford Studio sock yarns, I went stash diving.

This dark gray Regia was in balls, having been frogged in several previous attempts at using it for socks and rejecting it before the cuff was finished. I never liked the look of the light colored stripes in projects where I was trying to use it.

I still don't like the light colored stripes, but this time there will be no frogging.

Why am I knitting tight/baggy socks with yarn I don't love? Because I want to knit every sock in the book and this plan will get me past Wanida. I'm normally a pragmatic, sensible person so I have rationalized the time spent knitting these socks as follows:
  • I'm finally getting this yarn out of my stash.
  • The socks will be neutral and warm.
  • It doesn't matter that they have to be tugged over the instep because they're for me and I can do that.
  • This stitch pattern could be pretty in a sweater or scarf.


Pattern: Wanida from Sock Innovation by Cookie A.

Yarn: Some ten year old Regia with no label from the stash.

Needles: Options 2.5 circular from top of cuff to start of heel, 2.25mm circulars for heel and foot.

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch in stockinette. Diagonal bands make sock seem smaller.

No comments: