Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Rick, True Blood, and Red Oak

My most recent yarn order from Slackford Studio arrived Thursday. As expected, the 'True Blood" color is perfect for the Rick pattern and I cast on Thursday evening.

After only two pattern repeats, it was time for bed and the future of the Rick socks was doubtful. I felt my yarn overs were uneven (because they are), and I didn't like the way the stitch pattern was developing.

Frogging the sock would ruin my plan to knit every pattern in Cookie's book, so in the light of Friday morning I decided to knit a little more.


The cuff is done, the heel is turned, and the gusset stitches picked up. My attitude has also turned. I like the way this sock is turning out, even if my stitches could be a tad more even.

Those vertical lines between the diagonal traveling stitches are k2tbl p2 ribbing, making the sock nice and snug on my smallish ankles and feet.

Normally, I knit a little on one sock and switch to the second sock so they'll both be done at the same time. With Rick, the socks are mirror images of each other. The stitch pattern for the second (left) sock is totally different from this sock. Being easily confused, I decided to finish the right sock before starting the left.


Pattern: Rick from Sock Innovation by Cookie A.

Yarn: Stalwart Sock from Slackford Studio. 75% Superwash Merino, 25% Nylon 4 Ply Fingering Weight Sock Yarn.

Color: True Blood

Needles: Options 2.5mm circulars.

The other skein of yarn arriving from Slackford Studio Thursday is Red Oak.

I'm loving it because it really does look like red oak wood. It's destined to become a Cookie sock, but hasn't been assigned a pattern yet. Maybe Angee?

No comments: