Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Friday, May 22, 2009

All Is Happy in Sock Knitting Land

One of my long time blog reads, Susan in OK, sells beautiful fiber at Slackford Studio. Recently she added a 75% Superwash Merino, 25% Nylon 4 Ply Fingering Weight Sock Yarn to her mix. I picked my favorite color out of her first batch and was so excited when it arrived just as pretty as the picture.

The yarn is nice and soft but it looks like it's going to be tough as well. A must for my machine washing gift sock recipients.

Check out the pretty blue stitch markers that came with the yarn. They're so pretty I may make them into a pair of earrings.


Because, as you can see in this picture, I use tacky plastic pin markers that I can hook and unhook. I dislike slipping markers, so I often just slide them into the stitch below instead.

Though I don't enjoy knitting through the back loop, lately I've been tempted to knit Pomatomus by Cookie A. - a pattern with hundreds of knitting through the back loops. Since I couldn't wait to try out the new yarn and the colors looked perfect for this pattern, I decided to give it a trial.

It's perfect! I love the yarn - the colors and how nicely it knits up.

I love the pattern. All those curves are actually k1tbl, p1 ribbing and it's much stretchier than I expected.

The knitting through the back loop turned out to be perfectly pleasant with the sharp pointed Options needles. I no longer have to dislike that technique.

Now I'm going to set this sock aside and finish the Lighthouse Gansey sleeves knowing I have another fun project waiting in the bucket.


Pattern: Pomatomus by Cookie A.

Yarn: Stalwart Sock from Slackford Studio. 75% Superwash Merino, 25% Nylon 4 Ply Fingering Weight Sock Yarn.

Color: Origanum

Needles: Options 2.5mm circulars.

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch in stockinette.

No comments: