Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

John's Birthday Socks in Progress

Good news! Melody at Harmony Yarn in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho is sending out a third skein of this yarn so I can finish Son John's birthday socks, hopefully before his March 18th birthday. John bought the two original skeins at her shop.

And thanks to Idaho friend Linda Jo who volunteered to track down a skein for me if needed.

I ran out of yarn just before the start of the toe decreases. Maybe if I hadn't done the cables, there would have been enough yarn. But then the socks wouldn't be as interesting, so I'm not sorry I used a moderately complex stitch pattern.


Pattern: Basic cuff down sock on 70 stitches around.

Stitch pattern is Boxed Cables from Vogue Knitting Stitchionary 2 - Cables, Pattern 141.

I like that it has cables but still has plenty of stretch and give like socks should have because each cable ends after three crosses. Plus, something about the looks of it pleases my eyes.


Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Happy Feet, 90% wool, 25% Nylon.

Color: 01

Needles: Options 2.5mm circulars.

Gauge: 8 stitches/inch, 10 rows/inch.

Close up of boxed cables stitch patternJohn's socks are the second pair of socks I've knit with Boxed Cables. The first pair, for me, is a solid color showing the stitch pattern a bit better.


Next up, dog trainer Gail's birthday socks. Her birthday is the 18th, same as John's. While it's not customary to give birthday gifts to a dog trainer, Gail is special and she loves my handknit socks. This will make her seventh pair. I check her feet out every time I'm at doggy school, and she almost always has on a pair.

I love that she loves them.

No comments: