Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Ending The Year With A Roar

Everybody has them. Brief periods in life when one thing after another happens to throw off our plans and we begin to wonder how long it will be before we can return to our normal, boring life that we failed to appreciate.

I thought about writing a happy post and not bothering to record the things that recently happened. Somehow that didn't seem right, especially since I mentioned the possibility of more weather woes in my last post. So, I'm going to briefly write about our fun weekend so all my readers can be happy they live where they live instead of at my house.

When I left off in my last post we were expecting a thaw of about 5 feet of snow packed down into ice. Saturday it happened along with lots of rain. I was able to get the car out and go to the grocery store.

Saturday evening it rained some more and we started watching the basement for water. Soon we were going downstairs every hour to pump out a drainage area just outside the back door. Then water started to seep onto the basement floor not related to spot we were pumping. The routine changed from pump to pump and then wet vac.

About 1 am the wet vac died, so the routine changed to pump and mop with big old towels.

By 3 am the rain had stopped, the temperature was dropping back down to freezing, and a very strong wind started to blow taking out the power. We were so tired we bundled up (because there was no heat) and went to bed.

We consider ourselves fortunate. The power came back on at 9 am Sunday morning and most of the water in the basement had receded by then. Some Michigan residents didn't get their power back until today, Tuesday.

After catching up on my sleep Sunday, Monday I drove to Kalamazoo and had lunch with Mom. On the way home, my exhaust system died. I have an appointment tomorrow for an estimate to fix it, but there's no question it needs to be done. I can't even hear my radio when I drive. This is not happy financial news as well as being a bother.


To end on a happy note, we're having our family Christmas Thursday. If exhaust parts need to be ordered I may be pulling up with a roar, but I'm still looking forward to it.

No comments: