Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Friday, September 19, 2008

Chenille and Water Report

The basement has been pumped out (the picture shows the end of the hose attached to the pump), then wet vaced out, and tons of soggy stuff removed. (It didn't weigh tons until it got water logged.)

Nothing related to knitting was in the basement.

The cleaning project isn't done, but it's under control. I plan on knitting tonight for the first time since last Saturday.


Last Friday night and all day Saturday it rained and I knit. This back or front is almost 9 inches long.

The wavy garter band on the bottom is supposed to be that way, the theory being the cable splay will block into a flattering flare. My swatch did block out nice, but I couldn't try it on to see if it was flattering. I hope I don't regret not switching to a more traditional edging.

The cables are easily learned. It only took a few rows before I could ignore all the charts except one. I'm still using the chart for the center cable.

Click on picture for a bigger picture.


Pattern: Set-in Sleeve Aran from Janet Szabo's book Aran Sweater Design.

Simple one stitch cross substituted for three stitch narrow cable that crossed on every row including the wrong side rows. I told myself I didn't want to twist the alpaca that tight, but the truth may be I was just too lazy to cable on the back side. I do like the looks of the every other row twist better.

I'm calling it Chenille because the cable designs are similar to patterns found in old fashioned chenille bedspreads.

Yarn: Elann Peruvian Pure Alpaca, 100% fine grade alpaca, worsted weight.

Color: Creole Pink

Needles: Options #5

Gauge: 5 stitches/inch, 7.5 rows/inch

No comments: