Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Knitting Update for April 24

The second She Said Aran sleeve is in progress.

The short rows are done and all stitches have been picked up. It's time to start gradually decreasing and finishing this sweater up.

My notes on the first sleeve left a little to be desired. I always think I'll remember what I did because it was the thing that made the most sense. And, who wants to stop knitting to write down detailed notes?


Pattern: She Said Aran by Barbara Venishnick in Knitters Winter 1999, #57

Yarn: Cascade 220, 100% wool worsted weight

Color: 7808 Violet

Needles: Options #5

Gauge: 28 stitches/29.5 rows in 4 inches on lower sweater. 26 stitches/33 rows in 4 inches for upper sweater.

Last month I got to thinking about how much I enjoyed, and still enjoy, the older Knitter's Magazines.

I was a subscriber between Summer 1999 and Summer 2005. I let my subscription lapse when I realized getting my new issue was NOT fun. In fact, there were a few of the 2004 and 2005 issues I threw in the trash because I couldn't see any reason to give them shelf space.

Since I don't currently have a knitting magazine that I love receiving, I've started to fill in my Knitter's library with pre-subscription issues from the Nancy Thomas years. This Spring 1997 is one of my new acquisitions with two lovely sweaters designed by Norah Gaughan on the cover.


The short sleeve version of the cover sweater (above) might be perfect for this bundle of new yarn, Superwash Bamboo from Elann.

It's 65% superwash wool, 35% bamboo. Unwashed it looks very light and springy. Washed it may be too wooly for short sleeves? Some swatching will happen soon.


The current CIC_Knit List challenge is for wool toddler socks, but there is also a never ending need for toddler wool sweaters. Some of us are knitting Jean's Waffles for Brunch as a knit-along.

Jean is giving us a pattern installment every other day. We're through with the lower body knit in the round and the upper back knit back and forth.

This shows the sweater back. The needle peeking out midway up is holding stitches for the upper front.


Pattern: Waffles for Brunch designed by Jean and posted as a current knit-a-long on her blog Needles, Notes, and News.

Yarn: Lamb's Pride Bulky

Color: Deep Red

Needles: 10.5 Addi Turbo

Gauge: 3 stitches/inch, 4 rows/inch

No comments: