Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Friday, December 14, 2007

Start of Weekender Wrap

Have you seen this beautiful free Weekender Lace Wrap pattern designed by Lisa? Check out the link. My unblocked, black version doesn't begin to do it justice.

It's an easy knit. Just four pattern rows.

This is the first time I've ever used a lifeline - that dental floss you see going through a wrong side row in case I need to frog back.

Before I started the lifelines, I had several opportunities to rip back. With the black yarn, my 60+ year old eyes, and the yarnovers and double decreases, I ended up taking out more than needed before getting all the stitches back on the needle. Therefore, it was time to master the lifeline technique.

A while ago I read this great helpful lifeline hint (sorry, no idea where): When using Options needles there's a handy little hole where the point joins the cord. Thread the hole with dental floss, knit a wrong side row, and the lifeline is perfectly inserted.

The tricky part is being sure not to catch the lifeline in the following row's stitches. Not too difficult with the Options sharp point, but I do have to pay attention.

This piece is about seven inches long. I've knit four inches since starting to insert the lifelines and haven't used one yet. But, they're so easy to do with the Options needles I plan to keep using them just in case.


Pattern: Weekender Lace Wrap Stole by Lisa Dykstra.

Yarn: Regia Silk. Fingering weight. Black.

Needles: #5 Options.

Gauge: I have no idea how this is going to block out. And, I didn't swatch.

No comments: