Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Start of Acorn Second Sleeve

First goal for post-trip knitting is to get the sleeves knit for the Acorn Sweater.

I had to shorten the sleeves from the pattern's eight oak leaf length. In order to follow the chart for the neckline, I needed an even number of leaves, but wasn't sure six would make the sleeve long enough.

My FLAK fits perfectly, so I laid FLAK out on the table with the Acorn sweater on top. I was pleased and a little surprised to see my sleeve calculations are going to result in a sleeve that fits.

The cuffs will need to be about four inches long. Since they're an attractive, lacy ribbing, I'm not unhappy about that.


It was a cold, rainy day yesterday. I sat down to knit in the afternoon and actually thought I could produce a sleeve before bedtime.

How could I forget? Sleeves are the black hole of knitting. They possess the supernatural ability to stay the same size after hours of knitting.

The second sleeve is about one third done. I'll knit some more this afternoon, but no longer expect it to be done before the middle of the week.


Pattern: Herbstlied (Autumn Song) from New Style of Heirloom Knitting.

Yarn: Knitpicks Wool of the Andes, 100% wool.

Color: Firecracker heather

Needles: Options #5.

Gauge: 5.5 stitches/inch, 8.4 rows/inch in pattern

Click on the label Herbstlied at the end of this post to see all posts on this blog mentioning Herbstlied.

No comments: