Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Trip Triage

Before the sun comes up next Tuesday morning, I'll be on my way to the airport. If the airline cooperates, I'll be arriving in Spokane before lunch, Washington time.

At this point in the countdown to takeoff, everything on my todo list goes into one of three categories:
  1. Have to have done before I leave
  2. Would like to have done before I leave
  3. Not even going to think about until I get back

With that in mind, here's a knitting update.

Click on pictures to embiggen.


One sleeve is done on the Red White Gansey. (Project details here.)

The second sleeve is only a stockinette inch away from starting the ribbing.

Finishing this sweater is triage category 2. The blocked and modeled photo shot is triage category 3, especially since no cool days are forecast between now and flight time.

A decision has been made. Next sweater I'm going to knit will be Autumn Song (the Acorn Sweater) from New Style of Heirloom Knitting. Unless I'm unable to find yarn that I love for the pattern and decide to work in a different sweater while I'm looking and swatching for said yarn.

How's that for being decisive?


These two swatches flunked the test.

On top is Patternworks Bretton. I love this yarn and I love this color, Hunter Green. But for Autumn Song the yarn is a bit too thin and the green has too much blue in it.

On the bottom is Knitpicks Swish in Dublin. The gauge is great, the fabric is great, the stitch definition is great, the color puts me to sleep. I don't want to knit with this color for the dozens of hours it will take to knit Autumn Song.

In fact, I'm thinking I don't want to knit Autumn Song in green.

Autumn is a bright time, the perfect time of year to wear oranges, rusts, and reds.

This little dab of yarn with the red oak leaf is Knitpicks Wool of the Andes in Firecracker Heather.

I think I've got some more swatching to do.

Ordering some more sample skeins of yarn is triage category 1 so they'll be here when I get back to SW Michigan.

No comments: