Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Frode Finished

Finished Frode frontDone, washed, dry, and ready to pack in the box for the next CIC shipment.


Pattern: Frode (with modifications) by Elsebeth Lavold in Viking Patterns for Knitting
Yarn: Knitpicks Shamrock, 100% Peruvian wool, heavy worsted weight
Color: MacNamara
Needles: Addi Turbo #6
Gauge: 20 stitches/4 inches 28 rows/4 inches
Note: Size XS, 37.75 inches. Knitting for CIC_Knit List big kids sweater challenge.

If you're curious about the pattern modifications and/or my thoughts on the yarn, I wrote about both here.

I had fun with this sweater. It was my first time to make a stand alone Celtic cable like the happiness signs up the center of Frode. It was easy. I just followed the directions in the book and there they were, looking perky and well formed.


Finished frode backShamrock is four ply yarn. This color, MacNamara, has three plies of solid dark teal. The fourth ply is variegated white and light teal.

The variegation shows up better in this shot of the back.


Final thoughts on the Knitpicks Shamrock wool:
  • Knit at this tight gauge, the cables pop.
  • The variegated tweed effect is subtle enough not to distract much from the cables.
  • The resulting garment feels like wool. It's not as soft as Wool of the Andes. I wear Peruvian Highland Wool next to my skin with no problem. I would not want to wear Shamrock next to my skin.
  • I'm not likely to buy more Shamrock but I'm not sorry I tried it.

No comments: