Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Monday, January 22, 2007

Blogiversary Questions - Knitting

I'm still pluggin away on the blogiversary questions. They're perfect blog fodder for a Monday where all I have to show for weekend knitting is one-third of a Frode sleeve.


Shelly who blogs at Knitting and Praying asked . . .
Marguerite, I'd like to know when and how you learned to knit.

Crazy For Yarn in Alabama who blogs at Yarn Collectors Anonymous asked . . .
When did you learn to knit and who taught you?

Julie who blogs at Noolie Knits asked . . .
My question is when did you learn to knit and who taught you. Also, do you crochet?


I learned to knit from a little green Coats and Clark book I bought at the dimestore about 1960. I knit several sweaters out of acrylic yarn from that same dimestore, but they didn't fit right and I don't recall ever actually wearing one of them.

Throughout my life I had knitting spasms where I would pick up the needles and knit something that turned out to be unwearable for one reason or another, usually related to poor yarn choice and/or gauge. There were long periods of time - years - when I didn't knit at all because I was too busy doing other things like going to college, raising children, and working fulltime.

About ten years ago I got internet access at work and found knitting lists, knitting books, knitting friends, and eventually knitting blogs. What an encouragement, inspiration, and wealth of information.

Now it's a rare day when I don't knit at least a few rows, and never a day goes by that I don't think about what I'd like to knit in the future.


Angie asked . . .
Do you knit "english" or "continental", you seem to get things done so quickly.
I knit continental - pick the stitches - no throwing.


Lora J. who blogs at Krazi Knitter's Place asked . . .
OMG- how do you knit SO much? I am lucky to crank out 3 or 4 big items a year and I have been knitting for about 7 years now!
I'm retired and knitting is my entertainment.

In the evening I snuggle down on the sofa in the back room, put an audio book in the CD player, and knit. On doggy school nights, I usually work in some afternoon knitting time.


Twig who blogs at Twig's (mis)Adventures in Knitting asked . . .
Do you ever let mistakes stay in your knitting or do they drive you nuts until you fix them? (This is, of course, assuming you make mistakes.)
I make plenty of mistakes and they offend me. I almost always fix them.

I try to remember to check my knitting often so I don't have to frog more than a few rows. But if it has to be done, I do it.


Michelle who blogs at Lighthouse Designs by Soap Fiber Gal asked . . .
Wondering in-between all in your life do you knit for everyone in your family including yourself and what percentage of your knitting goes to family/friends and how much to charity? How do you juggle all your time between family & knitting?
I'm having a difficult time with this question because I don't quantify my knitting. There are no annual lists of what I've completed. So, let me tell you what I do know about my knitting habits.

Six family and friends get birthday socks. They are scattered throughout the year. Occasionally and rarely I knit something else for family/friend.

At the start of a CIC_Knit List challenge (charity), I set a goal for myself to help keep my charity knitting in perspective. I'm more likely to think I should never knit for myself while children are going cold than to fail to knit a reasonable amount for each challenge.

For the January, February, March CIC_Knit List big kid's challenge my goal is:
  1. Cozy in Cables pattern published in big kid sizes (done)
  2. 3 big kid sweaters (1.5 sweaters done)
  3. 5 pair big kid socks (1 done)

In January, most of my knitting time has been for charity. In February, I will be knitting two pair of birthday socks and finishing up my CIC goals. In March, I'll probably be back to knitting for myself.

At this time in my life, I don't need to juggle family time and knitting time. It's no problem to find knitting time and I'm very thankful for that.

No comments: