Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Saving my Knitting Sanity

Hat that doesn't fit BobThis hat is driving me crazy. It looks nice in the picture, but ridiculous on Bob's head.

It's just a little too tall. The ribbing goes in around the top of his head and then poofs out into a ball shape. The resulting effect looks like the first two snowballs of a snowman.

This is the second time I've knit this hat. The first time it was too small around and I frogged and cast on with twelve extra stitches. Now there will be more frogging as soon as I figure out what I need to do to make it right.

Use stockinette at the top instead of ribbing? Or will just making it shorter work?

Somewhere I missed the Hat 101 class.


Start of my Frode

Pattern: Frode (with modifications) by Elsebeth Lavold in Viking Patterns for Knitting

Yarn: Knitpicks Shamrock, 100% Peruvian wool, heavy worsted weight

Color: MacNamara

Needles: Addi Turbo #6

Gauge: 20 stitches/4 inches 28 rows/4 inches

Note: Size XS, 37.75 inches. Knitting for CIC_Knit List big kids sweater challenge

This does not fit well into my December knitting plan, but it had to happen. I was burning out with knitting boredom and needed something a bit more challenging than a simple ribbed hat that refuses to fit Bob's head.

After the hat, I have three more . . . what shall I call them? I don't want to call them boring, because they're going to be knit with love. Maybe call them basic, love projects.
  1. Anne's birthday socks
  2. A 32 inch Cozy in Cables Sweater pattern
  3. A 40 inch Cozy in Cables Sweater pattern

Ideally, they all need to be done by January 1, the start of the CIC_Knit List big kids sweater challenge. That's way too much knitting for eighteen days. Time for a reality check.

Frode in Viking Patterns for KnittingThis is Frode as pictured in Elsebeth Lavold's Viking Patterns for Knitting.

My Frode with modifications is going to look very similar from the front. I'll write more about the modifications in a future post.

No comments: