Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, December 28, 2006

Ribbing Rewards

Bob with his new hat on his headBob's New Hat On Bob

Yarn: Opal 6-Ply #1253 stranded with Knitpicks Essential Dusk
Needles: Addi Turbo 5
Gauge: 5 stitches/inch in stockinette

After frogging the lower half of the hat, starting over, then frogging the top third of the hat and reknitting it shorter, the hat still looks a little too tall.

But that's because he doesn't have it pulled down over his ears. Also, he could roll up more of the cuff. Anything so I don't have to frog it again.

DH Bob has been very polite about this hat and worn it everyday since receiving it on Christmas Eve. Still, yesterday he did mention that maybe hats weren't meant to be knit at such a firm gauge. I'm hoping that washing will soften it up for him.

This hat is not one of my most successful projects. We all have these accidents. Right?


My socks knit with leftover hat yarnLeftover Hat Yarn Socks

Pattern: Classic k1p1 Sock with Sailor's Rib in the cuff to alleviate ribbing boredom
Yarn: Opal 6-Ply #1253 stranded with sockweight yarn described below to create a worsted weight blend
Needles: Addi Turbo 5
Gauge: 5 stitches/inch in stockinette

During the busy pre-Christmas days, I knit myself two more pair of heavy socks for winter walks if winter ever returns - not that I'm wanting winter back, but it's likely to happen sometime before April.

These were knit with the leftover 6 ply Opal from Bob's hat. For the cuff, the 6 ply is stranded with some leftover navy Opal UNI-Solid. For the foot, the 6 ply is stranded with some left over Opal Cool Ocean.

These socks were meant to be warm, washable, and wear inside winter boots. Looks were secondary. They're not ugly, but they do look like I was trying to make practical use of leftover yarn. Right.


My socks knit with Raggi My Wonderful Raggi Socks

Pattern: Classic k3p1 ribbing
Yarn: Jarbo Garn Raggi, 70% wool, 30% nylon, heavy worsted weight available at Patternworks
Color: 1562 - denim surprise
Needles: Addi Turbo #5
Gauge: 5 stitches/inch, 8 rows/inch in stockinette

These were more fun to knit. The Raggi yarn just flows off the needles and the colors are so pretty.

I started with two skeins and knit both socks at the same time, one from each skein. There is enough left over for a child size pair of CIC socks.

I'm still loving this Raggi yarn for it's warmth and softness. Maybe I'll buy some Raggi to try another hat for Bob.

No comments: