Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Knitting Log for February 4

Fingerless mitten for CICPattern: Fingerless Mitts

Yarn: Knitpicks Andean Treasure, 100% baby alpaca, along with Blackberry Ridge Silk Blend Lace weight, two-ply, 25% silk, 85% wool.

Color: Fog and Medium lilac

Needles: Clover bamboo #5 circulars

Gauge: 20 stitches/4 inches

Our CIC challenge for February/March is fingerless gloves for the caretakers.

Amazing as it sounds living in Michigan and all, I have never knit a mitten. So this was a fun new something to knit for me. I selected a pattern with a thumb gusset because I think they look nicer than a buttonhole for the thumb hole. Even with the gusset, the pattern is super simple.

Since the Andean Treasure is sport weight and the pattern is for worsted weight, I added a strand of the lilac lace yarn. The lilac has the additional benefit of making the mitt much prettier.

The mitt looks a bit big on my hand because it is. I have small hands.

According to the CIC_Knit List
"Any size is acceptable, but more of the caretakers fall into the medium to large category than the more petite sizes."

I should have done a more petite size, anyway.

My kitchen scale says I'm going to be one-tenth of an ounce short of having enough Andean Treasure for the second mitt. This means I may need to come up with a $40 Knitpicks order when all I need is a few extra yards of yarn. Have to order enough for free shipping, right?

Note to non-knitters: Coming up with a $40 Knitpicks order is not something that requires sympathy.


One finished sleeve and one partial sleeve for AguavePattern: Aguave by Katherine Hunt in Summer 2005 Knitter's

Yarn: Knitpicks Shine, 60% pima cotton, 40% model

Color: River

Needles: Addi Turbo #4

Gauge: 24 stitches/4 inches in SS after washing

I'm working on the second sleeve which looks just like the first sleeve. Next time I knit something with unattached sleeves, I'm going to try knitting both sleeves at the same time to see if it helps reduce sleeve boredom.


Stitches of Violet Word Cloud

Cloud for Stitches of VioletSeems like everyone in blogland is creating a Word Cloud.

How could I resist?

No comments: