Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Thursday, December 22, 2005

New Yarn on the Doorstep

Not one, but two shipments of yarn were on my doorstep when I got home from a yummy lunch out today.

14 skeins of river Knitpicks Shine and two skeins of Andean TreasureThe blue Shine arrived from Knitpicks

As mentioned here, I swatched the blush color Shine and found it to knit up to a perfect DK weight.

Unfortunately, the river blue Shine looks more like sport weight. I'm not sure it's going to work for the pattern I want to knit. Bigger needles isn't an option. I want a snug fabric in this yarn so it won't sag.

One thing is for sure, it didn't do any good to knit that blush swatch because I'm going to have to swatch with the blue as well. It's very different from the blush. Sigh.

There's a lesson here. Maybe if I write it down, I'll remember it for next time.

Different colors of the same yarn may possibly knit up to different gauges. Always swatch in the color I'm going to be knitting.

The two odd skeins in front are Andean Treasure, a sport weight alpaca. I bought them to play with and also so I could see the colors. That dark red (embers) is super gorgeous. They're both so soft and snuggly can hardly keep my hands off them.


20 skeins of antique rose Peruvian Highland WoolIn another box was 20 skeins of antique rose Peruvian Highland Wool from Elann.

Note the swatch on top. It was knit from the same color and even the same dyelot as the 20 skeins, and it's right on gauge. I'm ready for the Follow the Leader Aran Knitalong starting January 1.

For those of you wondering why I bought so much wool, I didn't want there to be any doubt about having enough to finish. The left over will make thick and warm CIC socks.

No comments: