Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Friday, November 04, 2005

Answer Me This . . .

I don't usually do memes, but how could I not do this one after Elaine named me as one of her favorite knitblogs just before she tagged me?

Declaimer: Answers to these questions may change by the day - or even the hour. These answers only apply to the moment I typed them.

What is your all time favorite yarn to knit with?

If we define "favorite yarn" as the yarn I buy over and over and over again, my favorite all time favorite yarn is Opal sock yarn. It's pretty, practical, fun to knit, and it wears like iron. In addition, Opal has a great Yahoo List, Opal Chatters, that I enjoy very much.

Your favorite needles?

My circular needle collection is loaded with Addi Turbos and I use them for everything.

I want to try some of the beautiful wood needles, but I'm so afraid for my budget if they're as nice as I think they're going to be.

The worst thing you've ever knit or crocheted?

Modern Romance socks knit with Crocodile III've knit many awful things which I choose to forget and will not mention. Here's one I still have in my wardrobe.

A few years ago I knit Modern Romance, the February lace sock in the Sock Calendar, out of red Opal Crocodile II. The lace doesn't show because of the Crocodile and the Crocodile doesn't look pretty because of the lace.

After a lot of work - I even carried the lace pattern down the instep - I ended up with one of the ugliest pair of socks I own. Even though they are knit from a lovely lace pattern with lovely yarn, lovely plus lovely resulted in yuck.

They're on some cardboard sock blockers I made before I got the nice sock blockers I use for pictures now. That doesn't help them look any better.

And, if ugly isn't bad enough, the heel is too short and when I do wear them they slide down in my shoes.

Your most favorite knit or crochet pattern? (maybe you don’t like wearing it…but it was the most fun to knit)

I've knit a couple of tops where I started out with a lacy ribbing on the bottom. Then, I picked a lace pattern from BW and knit about four or five inches until I got tired of it. Then I picked another lace pattern from BW, etc until it was done. Total fun.

Most valuable knitting technique?

Partially done pair of socks showing pins to mark rowsI use these little plastic pins to keep track of my knitting.

They're used for:

  • Row counters. I slide a pin into every 10th or 20th row and I always know exactly where I am. That's what the pins are being used for in this picture.

  • Row counter for multi row stitch patterns. I slide a pin into the first row of the pattern. Then, when I have to put my knitting down, it's always easy to count up a short number of rows and know exactly where I left off.

  • Row counter for decreases or increases. Same idea. I slip a pin into the last one and it's easy to see how many rows I've knit since the last decrease or increase.

  • Markers. I slide the pin in between two stitches to mark a side seam or loop it around a stitch to mark a center stitch.

  • Anytime I need to mark anything for any reason and sometimes when I want to mark something for no good reason.

Best knit book or magazine?

The Barbara Walker Stitch Treasuries. I can spend hours and hours looking thought them.

They work as a unit, so I'm not going to try and pick my favorite except to say it's not the fourth.

Your favorite knit-a-long?

The CIC_Knit List knits for children in Eastern Europe orphan homes with inadequate heat.

Knitters from all across and up and down the continent knit a total of 321 toddler vests and sweaters in September and October. It was my pleasure to tally them up and thank all the knitters who contributed.

We also knit worsted weight wool children's socks for the kids.

If you think you might like to do some easy quick wool knitting that will make a big difference in a child's life, there is more information here.

Your favorite knitblogs?

There are so many good blogs, blogs where I consider the blogger to be a cyber friend, that I hesitate to answer this question. In fact, I'm going to rephrase it:

Name a few knitblogs that you have been reading over six months.(This version of the question is not an official part of the meme.)

There. That's better. I can do that.

A View From Sierra County Knitting, yarn reviews, burros, culture, nature, and a positive cheerful view of life.

Missouri Star Lace knitting, Aran knitting, adorable baby granddaughter, dogs, and a positive cheerful view of life.

The Woolen Rabbit Knitting, spinning, rabbits, Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (sometimes there are puppies!), and a positive cheerful view of life.

I am in awe of all three of these ladies with their multiple interests and talents.

Your favorite knitwear designer?

Alice Starmore. It's not that I actually knit her designs, but I have some of her books and consider them the ultimate knitting eye candy.

The knit item you wear the most? (how about a picture of it!)

This has to be my socks. I have about three dozen pair and I wear a pair every day. On grungy days, like days I'm working outdoors, I wear the socks I like least. I wear my favorites to church on Sunday.

OK, now to tag the next victims, but only if they want to do it.

Birdsong
Dorothy
Kim

No comments: