Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

The Rows Keep Getting Longer

Violets by the River shawl about two-thirds donePattern: Violets by the River Shawl by Hazel Carter

Yarn: Blackberry Ridge Silk Blend Lace weight, two-ply, 25% silk, 85% wool

Yarn Color: Medium lilac

Needles: #6

Gauge: 6 stitches/inch, 8 rows/inch

The violets are done and I'm about half done with the "river" border. There are 300 stitches on the needle with 22 very long rows to go.

When the two river borders are bound off, there is a very cute border with lace bees to knit across the top edge. Then it's done.

This is an excellent first shawl project. The yarn is easy to knit: not too slippery, not too fine, not too fuzzy. The pattern is easy to follow while not being completely repetitive and boring.

I have never worn a shawl before. I'm not sure I'm going to enjoy wearing something that might slip off, that I have to keep track of and maybe even hang onto. My usual mode of dress is simple, pragmatic, and rather boring.

Is it worn in place of a sweater? If I wear it to church, do I leave it on for the service? Any helpful shawl wearing hints will be appreciated. I really don't have a clue.

No comments: