Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Friday, May 27, 2005

Knitting Log for May 27

Red UNI-Solid Opal socks knit in the Hearts N Hugs patternHeather's Birthday Socks
She asked for RED and she got RED! I aim to please with birthday socks.

The socks were knit with Opal UNI-Solid using Joy Slayton's pattern, Hearts 'N Hugs.

I've had this pattern for years and was waiting for the right inspiration and the right yarn. The red Opal just begged to be something with hearts in it, so I pulled out the pattern and started knitting. The only change I made was to rib the back of the socks instead of leaving them plain. I want to be sure the socks are snug to Heather's legs so the lacy hearts will show.

Detail of Hearts N Hugs sock patternHere's a better look at the stitch pattern.

Frogged Une's Scarf
Une's Scarf in Knitpicks Alpaca Cloud is frogged. I had 15 rows done and many hours invested. It was a sad but necessary death to a project that just wasn't working.

Even though Knitpicks recommends Une's Scarf as a project for Alpaca Cloud, I have to wonder if they have seen the results of such a mating. Alpaca Cloud is very very fine, about 30% thinner than the yarn called for in the pattern. Knitting Alpaca Cloud on a size 6 needle gives a very airy fabric, nothing like the picture of Une's scarf in Scarf Style. I didn't like it.

I started the scarf when I was sick and lacking judgment, or I never would have made it through fifteen rows without realizing the results were not as expected.

My opinion - the opinion of an inexperience fine lace knitter - Alpaca Cloud is too fine to knit on size 6 needles. I would love to be educated by dissenting opinions. Maybe it was just this pattern. Maybe it was just me not knowing how awful lace can look before it is blocked.

Back to the Lavold Sweater
I have no more excuses to procrastinate finishing up the neck and sleeves on the Lavold Silky Tweed sweater. Tomorrow it comes out of the bag and the too small neck gets frogged. Before this three day weekend is over I hope to have it well on it's way to the finished list.

No comments: