Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Monday, May 30, 2005

Book Meme

Last week I got tagged by Odysseuse for the Book Meme. Today I finally provide the answers you've all been waiting for.

By the way, if you haven't checked out Odysseuse on the Move, it's a most interesting blog written by my mother. Be sure to read the reader comments. They're just as much fun as the posts.

l. Total number of books in your house.

I'm sure there are well over a thousand and I don't plan on counting them.

2. Last book bought.

Heartbreaker by Julie Garwood. A thriller, romance type book bought in the Minneapolis airport after realizing I was going to run out of reading material with over two hours of flying time left to fill.

It was good enough to pass the time, but not so engrossing it had to be finished immediately. Perfect for the occasion. It got me to Idaho and served as bedtime reading after I arrived.

3. Last book read.

A Country Year, Living the Questions by Sue Hubbell. When I got tagged with this meme and started thinking about my favorite books, I headed for the bookshelf to find this one for a re-read.

4. Five or six books you often reread or that mean a lot to you.

Bible - The last ten years I've made a point of studying the Bible. I think it's the key to understanding life. I don't think any church or denomination has the complete picture of what the Bible is saying.

Knitting in Plain English by Maggie Righetti. She writes just like she's looking over your shoulder and teaching you how to knit. There's plenty of wisdom thrown in to go along with the technical.

For example:
Admire your work often.
In other words, frequently look at what you've knit so when you need to rip back, you're not ripping back very much. Great advice for yours truly. I try to heed it.

Newcomb's Wildflower Guide by Lawence Newcomb. A keyed reference book to the plants.

I carry this book on all my hikes and field trips. Luanne and I have spend hours using it to identify our finds.

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. C.S. Lewis's writing gives proof that it's possible to be intelligent and be a Christian.

There are some days, especially after some of the newsworthy statements that come out of the mouths of the so called Christian leadership, when I really need reassurance about that.

Html for the World Wide Web by Elizabeth Castro. Great to read cover to cover if you want to know it all. Also a fine reference book if you only want to know what you need to know to do what you want to do.

This book is always by my side while I'm on my laptop. It's extra special to me because it was a birthday gift from a good friend.

A Country Year, Living the Questions by Sue Hubbell. Essays on living with nature.

This woman is my heroine. Whenever I read this book, I get transported back to my real values about our relationship with nature, the ones I feel in my heart are right.

Other books by Sue Hubbell are also excellent.

Granddaughter Sydney Anne's Daddy (my son John, also know as Tah) has volunteered to be tagged with this meme. Thanks John. I'm looking forward to reading your answers. Meanwhile, I think I'll go check out the cute Sydney pictures on your blog Tah Tales.

No comments: