Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Nancy and Nick Knit

And they both made a pair of Old Shale Two Yarn Socks.

Thanks for letting me share your pictures Nancy and Nick.

Nancy's Old Shale socks using Opal Handpainted 11Nancy knit these for her daughter.

Nancy wrote:
"I had made myself a pair of fluted banister socks (from the Six Sox Knitalong) using Opal Handpainted #11. They were for me, and I just love them. I had a fair amount of the Opal left over, and I knew the color scheme would also be good for my daughter, Sarah.

I made the old shale two-yarn socks for her, using what I had left of the Opal Handpainted #11, and some Paton's Kroy Sock yarn (hickory color). I happened to have. The Kroy sock yarn is a little thicker, but it turned out great.

Sarah and I both wear size 8 1/2 or 9 shoes. This sock is a little bit tight on me. I will want to make the pattern again, but maybe I'll try it on 3.0 mm Addi Turbos instead.

I really, really like your idea of the k7 p1 ribbing going down
the leg and instep. I plan to adapt that idea to my next pair of plain vanilla socks."

Nick's Old Shale Socks for CICNick made hers child size for CIC.

When I asked her about the yarn and how she scaled down the pattern, she sounded like me when I wing a pattern and don't write it down.

Nick wrote:
"Oh golly, that was several pairs of socks ago, and do you think I made notes? Of course not! ;)

But, let's see here...I do know that it's Silja (MC) and Regia
(CC) yarns, on #2 needles, IIRC.

Yes, I did resize the pattern but I can't quite remember how many stitches I did. Maybe 48? Other than changing the stitch count I just "winged it" -- that is, knit the foot until it looked right, you know?"

Yep, I know just how that goes.

I had to visit Internet Acronyms to look up the acronym Nick used.

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

Of course! It's perfectly obvious now that I've looked it up.

No comments: