Let the past sleep, but let it sleep in the sweet embrace of Christ, and let us go on into the invincible future with Him. (Oswalt Chambers)

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

What Would Jesus Do About This Tee Shirt?

After my post on Christian blogs, I did find some blogs written by intelligent Christians who know the Bible and aren't legalistic. It's been a blessing for me to know that they exist.

Going Jesus is a blog written by a church secretary who sells tee shirts and other items that say wtfwjd? at Cafepress.

wtfwjd? is a clever combination of the two popular acronyms WTF (What The F**k) and WWJD? (What Would Jesus Do?). I've been chuckling over this acronym for several days now. I think Jesus might very well laugh at it, too.

I've always thought WWJD? is a stupid question. How are we supposed to know that? And, if we did know, what makes anyone think we are supposed to do the same thing Jesus would have done? He may have been fully human, but He was also fully God - complete with ability to do miracles. We are only human - members of a fallen race. I don't think it's expected that we know what God would do. I think it's impossible that we do what God would do.

Short digression: I do think it's possible to know what God would have us do or not do. There is a big difference between doing what God would Himself do and doing what God wants us to be doing.

I would not wear a wtfwjd? tee shirt. It's not because I think it's offensive to God. I would not wear it because it would offend many nice, sincere Christians who don't agree with my conclusion that it's humorous and benign.

Christian or non, I'd love to hear your thoughts on wtfwjd? Please leave a comment. If you are shy, you don't need to use a name and/or email. They're not required.

No comments: